Announcement

Learn & practice English with us online--on this page and on our Main Blog.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

IS IT CORRECT? - 2 - The subway station in near to my house.



All language learners around the world make mistakes. Have you ever felt your teacher’s corrections do not have a long-lasting effect? Are you frustrated that even though your teacher corrects you, once you leave the class you keep making the same mistakes? We understand how you feel and will help you eliminate mistakes you might be making. The purpose of this section is to address common mistakes many students from different countries make in English and briefly explain why they are incorrect. Once you understand why they are incorrect, it might be easier for you to avoid them!

IS IT CORRECT?

EPISODE 2

 MISTAKE:
“The subway station is near to my house.”

CORRECTION:
The subway station is near my house.
                           or
The subway station is next to my house.

The difference between “near” and “next to” is small, but technically they are not exactly the same.

“Near” means “close to” or “not far from”. In this case it would mean that the subway station is close to my house, let’s say one block away.

“Next to” means that two people/things/places are very close to each other with nothing in between them. It would mean that when I leave my house the subways station is right there, I don’t have to walk any farther.

If you have additional questions, e-mail me at: ania@nylanguagecenter.com
Ania Necakov - Academic Coordinator NYLC Jackson Heights

No comments:

Post a Comment